In this GIS blog I will be posting maps which I have prepared. Click on the maps to view a larger image. Sometimes you may have to click a second time on the map in order to bring the wording more into focus.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Coast 3:Mississippi Counties Affected by Hurricane Katrina's Storm Surge

These are the coastal counties of Mississippi.In preparing this map I was surprised to see all the churches.This map shows that most hospitals, many churches and some major highways were in areas that were affected by the storm surge of  Hurricane Katrina. It is obvious to me that too many hospitals are located within the low, coastal areas. Hospitals should be built in the safest places so they will be functional in times of emergency.
In preparing this map I found that there is a very long waiting period for the highways and roads to be drawn. I wonder why that is... Could it be that they are continuous vector lines which have to be connected? I noticed when they were being drawn that they were not drawn as one continuous line, but as small sections in different areas of the map.
I  was also very confused about the correct methods used to symbolize the highways. I think I need a refresher lesson on how to do this, as I still am unsure about the whole procedure of defining feature classes and symbolizing them.
Please note: There should be a Coast 2 map of Mississippi Counties below. If you can't see it, please click on "Older Post". Thank you.