In this GIS blog I will be posting maps which I have prepared. Click on the maps to view a larger image. Sometimes you may have to click a second time on the map in order to bring the wording more into focus.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Coast 2: Coastal Counties of Mississippi Affected by Hurricane Katrina


This map contains 3 coastal counties of Mississippi.In this excercise the amount and types of landcover in these counties which were flooded during Hurricane Katrina were calculated and displayed.My initial problem in this exercise had to do with  converting the elevation from meters to feet. ArcGIS  gave the ERROR message "Input Raster is Invalid" when I entered "elev" as the constant value 1 into the Times tool. So I reloaded my information into the Times tool, however, I began by entering the output raster first, then the constant value 2, and finally entered "elev" as the constant value1...NO ERROR Message.  I actually got this same ERROR when I began entering data for the Less than Equal tool to isolate area flooded, and also when I used the Times tool to calculate flooded land cover. To work around these ERRORS, each time I just entered the data from the output raster first, and worked my way up to the input raster. This procedure worked for me. I'm not sure, but I think I tricked the program. By the way, I am working from the UWF terminal server. I am not working from my own "machine." So I believe the problem is within the ArcGIS program. I did, however , find this mapmaking exercise most interesting. One other problem that I had was a mistake made on my part; I was trying to adjust the layout on my graph and my bars got piled up all together. And I could not figure out how to put them back in a neat row. So I tried to delete the graph.That was a BIG mistake. ArcGIS gave me a BIG ERROR message and locked up!! So I walked away to wait it out, 30 minutes or so. Then I came back my map was GONE! I had to start all over again!! Lesson Learned: Never try to delete a graph when you are in the layout mode. I don't know. Can graphs be deleted once they are made?