In this GIS blog I will be posting maps which I have prepared. Click on the maps to view a larger image. Sometimes you may have to click a second time on the map in order to bring the wording more into focus.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Week 9: Vector Analysis II

This week's cartography experience was interesting to me, perhaps because I enjoy hiking in the forests and camping at state parks. In creating this map I learned how to create buffer zones and use the overlay tools under the Analysis Tools  in ArcMap. I am slowly catching on to the ArcMap terminology and procedures. Yet, I admit that I have to go back and review previous weeks' procedures because I forget how they were done.

Questions and Answers for Week 9:
1. Which tool did you use? Was there any noticeable difference between its results and the results from the instructions? 
 I used the intersect tool and got the same results. There was no noticeable difference between using the union tool and the intersect tool.

2. Which tool did you use here? Why?
 I used the erase tool because I wanted to eliminate the possible camping areas that were contained within the    conservation areas.   

3. How many features are in this layer? What is the area of the largest feature? What is the area of the smallest feature?
 I found 81 features in this layer. The largest feature had an area of 7,753,040.47 square meters. The smallest feature had an area of 748.11 square meters.