In this GIS blog I will be posting maps which I have prepared. Click on the maps to view a larger image. Sometimes you may have to click a second time on the map in order to bring the wording more into focus.

Monday, February 1, 2010

Maps of Mexico (click on each for larger image)



Map 1: Population of Mexico
In working with this choropleth map of Mexico I learned about retrieving datasets from the ArcCatalog tree to input into ArcMap, organizing datalayers for display, how to select by attributes in a SQL query, and how to add a legend to a map. The most difficult part of this assignment for me was in the beginning when I looked for data of Mexico in the D drive of my ArcCatalog. After a while I realized that the example I was following was a display from my instructor's computer screen, then I proceeded to the correct drive, my H drive, and found the data I was looking for. I also realized that any editing to my map had better be done
before saving it as a jpeg file

I
Map2: Central Mexico
The creation of this map presented many new cartographic challenges. I learned how to manipulate symbology properties, and organize layers, sizes, and colors on layers. The information had to be arranged on the map so it was visible, yet not cluttered-looking. I learned about converting labels to annotations, changing the scale, and creating a legend. I learned how to create a map inset. That was interesting. And I finally remembered to add my name to my map before saving it to jpeg!

Map 3: Mexico Elevation
This elevation map of Mexico is an example of a stretched symbology scheme for a raster dataset of elevations. In creating this map I learned that a classified symbology scheme for raster datasets arranges" entities into groups or categories," while the stretched symbology scheme displays them as "a continuous ramp of values." Using a stretched symbology scheme seems more logical for displaying elevation because elevation is a "continuous" physical characteristic in geography. The color scheme I chose for this map seemed appropriate, as the lighter green represented lower elevations near the coasts, then gradually changing to darker green moving inland and up in elevation, then from a golden brown to shades of darker brown as the elevation increased even more, and finally, to a greyish-white for the highest elevations, which could represent snow.

ArcGIS is an impressive program!